Monday, August 9, 2010

Attesting to an Aged Splendor’s Flight

Attesting to an Aged Splendor’s Flight
John Michael Elritz Gallo

“Virtus…Scientia”
Merely new people are those who wonder what these Latin words mean. These words just hang there, overhead, on the gates, with Virtus on the left and Scientia on the right. Running on both sides of the main entrance were giant trees that seemed to guard a fortress. The vintage building that first welcomes the eyes of the visitor makes an impression that the place has aged.
The College of Engineering and Architecture, formerly known as College of Technology, lie on a not so long walk from the main gate, but a few steps from the side gate. Its building structure stands for its name: Technology – modernism.
This academic year, a long list of freshmen finally learned that Virtus and Scientia mean Virtue and Science (not entrance and exit), and they are to attest that some things don’t change; they don’t age. Along with the revival of our college paper, six freshmen gets a head start in revealing their own thoughts about certain issues in the University and in their present college life.

Danny Gicano
Civil Engineering 1
“When I first took glimpse of the University, I found it pleasant, tranquil and grand. When it came to adjusting to college life, I found it easy because, firstly, my college mates are somewhat similar to my high schoolmates when it comes to the way they act and do, and I could interact with them easily. Secondly, the teachers are very approachable and are people I can relate to. If I compare my high school life to college life, I think college life is better, because if we consider and weigh the things that we learn in college, they comprise most of what determines our future.”

Neal Andrius Sevilla
Architecture 1-A
“My expectations were somehow satisfied. Remember, this is college so the teachers do not reach out their hands entirely to us. Our learning depends on us. On my part, I am challenged and forced to persevere more. When it comes to adjusting to college life, at first, it was hard because you get to meet unusual people, but eventually, time just passed by unnoticeably. I now feel comfortable because people here seem to be more mature and easy to be with. If I were to choose between high school and college, as what is better, I choose high school. I had more freedom when it comes to studies. I could choose to study hard or not, and I could study only before examinations. If you are in college, you have to review your notes almost everyday, seriously.”

Nanette Marie Caputero
Architecture 1-A
“College is somehow similar to high school, but this time I must show more enthusiasm and confidence to do what I like and show my talents for it is a bigger world with bigger opportunities. The University, the first time I set my eyes on it, looked old and unwelcoming. On the first day of class, the same silent and boring ambience was felt inside the classroom. I felt really awkward about it. I was expecting to see some kind of exceptional talent displays. I was expecting to meet brilliant people, but I became disappointed. I was also expecting the teachers would really give us hard times with plenty of home and school works and activities, and this time I am very glad that my expectation turned down.



Nikka Grace Yoro
Interior Design 1
“The University of San Agustin is big and wide. It’s one thing I had to adjust to. Adjusting to the whole new world was hard for me, and I even got hit by culture shock. Another thing is that this university teaches Catholic Christianity, and I believe in a different religion. My expectations were satisfied. The teachers are fine and fair. They teach very well, but of course I also expected that they will care less to students because this is college. Somehow, actually, college seems to be like high school, and as a freshman, I like high school more.”

Steven Mel Isturis
“When I was just an incoming college student, I got excited thinking about how much vacant time I can have when I can finally step on the world of college. During the day of enrollment, I was nervous. It was only me who roamed around for the entire enrollment process, having difficulty with how to’s and where to’s. one thing I like about here is that the buildings are near each other. What I noticed that’s so unpleasing for me is the lack of uniformity and unity in buildings and classrooms. As time went by, I adjusted and I started to realize that life here is fun.

From the writer:
“Age does determine the quality, but to this University and to our college, our stamina and strength for rising up to the skies and reaching for the stars are as high as the number of years this University has stood. This is how I see it. Everyday, I see determined dreamers who persevere just as I used to see in high school. There is no stop in dreaming as you breathe. Everyday, people live by rules. They keep order and harmony. Everyday, I see little previews of tomorrow students and teachers show. Our teachers are guidance. We are the learners. We control our lives. Everday, I see life as the same as before and maybe after – a series of learning and discoveries. College is just another beginning. It is but a little time yet gigantic weapon we can use as we face the challenges of life. So it is now time to set a goal and do what an Augustinian student must do. We can never tell what’s best until we experience every bit of everything, until we travel every second of time. We can never tell what’s best until we reach our destination, but we can always choose what to treasure most as we go along the journey. Let Virtus et Scientia be our sword and shield in facing the new tomorrow awaiting us.

No comments:

Post a Comment